Monday, 17 August 2015

Recent Reads #2.


I've just finished another three books, so I thought it was time for another 'recent reads' post.

Paper Towns by John Green

Blurb: "The thing about Margo Roth Spiegelman is that really all I could ever do was let her talk, and then when she stopped talking encourage her to go on, due to the facts that 1. I was incontestably in love with her, and 2. she was absolutely unprecedented in every way and 3. she never really asked me any questions..." Quentin Jacobsen has always loved Margo from afar. So when she climbs through his window to summon him on an all-night road trip of revenge he cannot help but follow. But the next morning, Q turns up at school and Margo doesn't. She's left clues to her disappearance, like a trail of breadcrumbs for Q to follow. And everything leads to one unavoidable question:

Who is the real Margo?

My Rating

The Verdict: I'm a huge fan of John Green's books and Paper Towns definitely didn't disappoint me. In fact, it's probably my favourite of his novels along with The Fault in Our Stars. It's written so creatively and there are so many messages and metaphors within it. I loved the story and the style it's written in - it had me hooked from start to finish. The characters are so interesting, the book as a whole is mysterious and, unlike Looking For Alaska, didn't leave me bored at any point. I also loved the ending (won't say any more in case you haven't read it, but I loved it).

The Silkworm by Robert Galbraith (JK Rowling)

Blurb: When novelist Owen Quine goes missing, his wife calls in private detective Cormoran Strike. At first she just thinks he has gone off by himself for a few days and she wants Strike to find him and bring him home. But as Strike investigates, it becomes clear that there is more to Quine's disappearance. The novelist has just completed a manuscript featuring poisonous pen-portraits of almost everyone he knows. If the novel were published it would ruin lives - so there are a lot of people who might want to silence him.

And when Quine is found brutally murdered in bizarre circumstances, it becomes a race against time to understand the motivation of a killer unlike any Strike has encountered before...

My Rating

The Verdict: I read 'The Cuckoo's Calling', which is the first Cormoran Strike detective novel, last year and absolutely loved it. I was really excited to finally read this one and it lived up to all my expectations. Robert Galbraith (aka JK Rowling)'s descriptions and characterisation is done so well and her plots are really interesting. This book had a completely unique twist on the first one while still having the same undertones as the first book. It leaves you guessing almost until the very end, meaning you can't put it down until you've found out what happens! Such a cleverly written book.

A Work in Progress by Connor Franta

Blurb: In this intimate memoir of life beyond the camera, Connor Franta shares the lessons he has learned - so far - on his journey from small town boy to internet sensation. Here, Connor offers a look at his midwestern upbringing as one of four children in the home and one of five in the classroom; his struggles with identity, body image and sexuality in his teen years; and his decision to finally pursue his creative and artistic passions in his early twenties, setting up his flourishing career as a YouTube personality, philanthropist, entrepreneur and tastemaker.

Beautifully designed and including photography and childhood clippings provided by Connor, this is a must have for those seeking inspiration for their own journeys.

My Rating

The Verdict: I think this is my favourite out of all the 'youtuber' books I've read. I've been watching Connor Franta on Youtube for about a year now and I love his videos and the whole style of his channel. The book isn't a typical autobiography describing his life from start to now, instead it's full of moments from his childhood and events that have happened to him throughout his life including his photography and family photos. The chapters aren't long and dull, they're short and fulfilling and I really enjoyed reading them. If you watch Connor Franta I'd definitely say it's a book you'll want to read. And if you don't you'd probably enjoy it too.

What books have you read recently?

No comments:

Post a Comment