I have officially decided that I read far too many books to not blog about them. Instead of reviewing books individually I thought I'd start a little series of posts, where every time I finish a few books I'll do a post on them, reviewing them whether they're good or bad. I'm starting with three books that I've read very recently. Let me know what you think!
Looking For Alaska by John Green
Blurb: "If people were rain, I was drizzle and she was a hurricane." Miles Halter's whole life has been one big non-event, until he meets Alaska Young. Gorgeous, clever and undoubtedly screwed up, Alaska draws Miles into her reckless world and irrevocably steals his heart. For Miles, nothing can ever be the same again.
My rating: ☆☆☆☆
The verdict: Looking for Alaska was a really good read. John Green has a way of writing that just entices you into the book and makes you want to keep reading for hours on end. I have to say it isn't my favourite John Green book but the story is excellent and I'm not going to deny that I cried in parts. It's a really unique story and that's what I love about it. It will be a book I read again for sure.
Safe Haven by Nicholas Sparks
Blurb: Love hurts. There is nothing as painful as heartbreak. But in order to love again, you must learn to trust again. When a mysterious young woman named Katie appears in the small town of Southport, her sudden arrival raises questions about her past. Beautiful yet unassuming, Katie is determined to avoid forming personal ties until a series of events draws her into two reluctant relationships. Despite her reservations, Katie slowly begins to lower her guard, putting down roots in the close-knit community. But even as Katie starts to fall in love, she struggles with the dark secret that still haunts her...
My rating: ☆☆☆☆☆
The verdict: This book is absolutely amazing. I loved it! It's based wholly around a love story, so if you don't really like romance novels it probably isn't for you. Nicholas Sparks is so talented with stories like this and Safe Haven had me hooked from the start. It's mysterious and leaves you guessing constantly, which I love in novels. The love story is written brilliantly and isn't cheesy like it can be in some books. I've read this twice now and I will probably read it again - I've been singing it's praises to everyone.
In Real Life by Joey Graceffa
Blurb: Twenty-four-year-old Joey Graceffa has captured the hearts of more than 4 million teens and young adults through his playful, sweet and inspirational youtube presence (not to mention his sparkling eyes and perfect hair). Yet Joey wasn't always comfortable in his skin, and in this candid memoir, he thoughtfully looks back on his journey from pain to pride, self-doubt to self-acceptance. To his fans, Joey is that best friend who always highlights the brighter side of life but also isn't afraid to get real. In the pages of his first book, he opens up about his years of struggling with family hardships, and troubles at school, with cruel bullying and the sting of rejection. He tells of first loves and losses, embarrassing moments and surprising discoveries, loneliness, laughter and life-changing forks in the road, showing us the incalculable value of finally finding and following your true passion in this world. Funny, warm-hearted and inspiring, Joey Graceffa's story is a welcome reminder that it's not where you begin that matters but where you end up.
My rating: ☆☆☆
The verdict: First of all this book has the longest blurb I've ever seen! I actually pre-ordered this book, as Joey Graceffa is one of the youtubers I watch frequently. I did enjoy reading it but I feel like unless you know Joey as a youtuber you probably wouldn't be as interested. The reason I've given it three stars is because I prefer fiction novels to autobiographies and such like. However it was an interesting and fairly light read that kept me going through long nights of revision while I was doing my GCSE's, as I didn't have to concentrate as hard on it as some of the bigger fiction stories. If you like Joey, I'd say give it a go.
Have you read any of these? What did you think about them?




No comments:
Post a Comment