Thursday, 16 July 2015

5 days in South Wales.


Yesterday I got home from a 5 day trip to South Wales with my Duke of Edinburgh group from bronze and silver, our teachers who lead the DofE and also the younger students doing their bronze expedition. The group of us Year 11's who went weren't our whole Duke of Edinburgh group but it was a really good group to go with, as we're all really good friends so we get on really well whenever we go away.

We travelled down to Gower in South Wales on Friday night where we arrived at our campsite and then pitched our tents and cooked food before going to bed. On Saturday the Year 10's started their bronze expedition leaving us to have a day on the beach body boarding and playing games. The top two pictures are the first beach we went to - Rhossili. It was such an amazing beach and the views from the cliff tops were gorgeous.


Sunday was a little more rainy so we headed out to meet the bronze lot while they were walking, stopping at the beach above to meet them - Oxwich Bay. This was the same day as the Wimbledon final between Djokovic and Federer and for a good 45 minutes we walked up and down the beach trying to get enough internet to watch it on someone's phone. We saw about 2 seconds in the end.

When the Y10's  finished their expedition we had a party on the beach, which was a really good opportunity to get to know all the Year 10's and obviously be with our friends of the same age. It was a lot of fun and we got to stay on the beach until about 10.30pm toasting marshmallows and listening to music.


The weather Monday morning was absolutely horrible. We went surfing and had to run across the beach car park in our swimwear to collect wetsuits in the throwing it down rain and perishing wind - various dog walkers looked at us like we'd gone mad. Surfing ended up being great and it was a good surf - probably the only advantage that came out of the weather that day. Luckily it did pick up and that afternoon we took down our tents and packed away the campsite to head to the Brecon Beacons to a bunk house. On the way we stopped at Mumbles for dinner and spent some time in the amusement arcade. It was a really pretty little seaside town. 

Tuesday was the most action packed day of the trip. After breakfast we were split into three groups meaning I only had two Year 11's with me for the whole day, although we got to know the Year 10's even more and made friends with all our group. We started with climbing, which was extremely difficult in the rain (not to mention I'm rubbish at climbing anyway). Next was caving and was probably one of the worst experiences I've ever had. I'm so claustrophobic that I'd started panicking before we even attempted to get through any of the small spaces. I managed to do everything in the end, although I honestly couldn't wait to get out of that cave! The final activity was gorge walking, which was my favourite of the three. We got back after 10 hours to dinner. We were all so hungry - I've never eaten so much spaghetti bolognaise in my life. 


On Wednesday morning we packed up and went home. It was such an amazing 5 days and I would honestly go back again this Friday if I could, even though I'm absolutely shattered (I've been drinking coffee even more than usual in a desperate attempt to function). The trip was definitely one to remember and the best way I could have ended Year 11.

Have you ever visited Wales?

No comments:

Post a Comment