Saturday, 17 January 2015

Book Review: You Had Me At Hello.


I really enjoyed writing my previous book review and it got a fairly good response, so as I read so many books I thought I would start making more of an effort to incorporate book reviews into my blog. I actually bought this one after reading about it one someone's blog a few months back.

Title: You Had Me At Hello

Author: Mhairi McFarlane

RRP: £7.99

Blurb: 'Think of the great duos of history. We're just like them.'
'You mean like Kylie and Jason? Torvill and Dean? Sonny and Cher?'
'I think you've missed the point, Rachel.'

Rachel and Ben. Ben and Rachel. It was them against the world. Until it all fell apart. It's been a decade since they last spoke, but when Rachel bumps into Ben one rainy day, the years melt away. They'd been partners in crime and the best of friends. But it's clear that life has moved on. Ben is married. Rachel is not. yet in that split-second, Rachel feels the old friendship return. And along with it, the broken heart she's never been able to mend.

Rating: ****

Review: The book begins with a flashback of a funny memory from Rachel and Ben's past friendship, which sets the book up in a humorous light. I liked this, as we enter the present day at the break down of Rachel's relationship with her long term partner and fiancé Rhys. However everything is written so that we don't spend any time emotionally dwelling on the crisis that has just happened, but rather jump straight into a witty, clever and brilliantly written story. It did have a bit of a slow build up but afterwards there are both moments that are hilarious and on the contrast also points that take a more serious turn. There are many points of romance and friendship and it's one of those books where you know by about halfway through how you want it to end, hoping desperately through the last pages that it turns out the way you wanted. On the whole isn't a massively in-depth novel, but it is light hearted, humorous and enjoyable and I would recommend it.

xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment