Sunday, 20 September 2015

Minimising School Stress.


It's September, which mean the inevitable has happened and if you're still studying you've probably gone back to the dreaded place we like to call school. Okay, it's not that bad. I do actually enjoy school (or sixth form as I'm in now). I get to see all my friends every day and socialise with more people than I do throughout the summer. And going into sixth form this year has had it's perks - there's no more uniform, we're permitted to leave the site at break and lunchtime, we have our own common room and canteen (so we don't have to queue with lower school - result!) and free periods have begun to exist. However just like previously, as we've headed slowly into the year, the stress has started to get to me and I'm already worrying about being overloaded with work before we even reach Christmas. For those fellow anxiety sufferers/worriers like me, I feel you! I've put together a few tips that I like to fall back on to help minimise the stress that comes with going back to school.

1. Take a long soak in a hot bubble bath a few times a week. This time of year (and the vile weather we're having at the minute) goes perfectly with an evening bath. Stock up on your favourite Lush bath bombs and bubble bars and go crazy with them. Light a few candles, set up your laptop or tablet at the other side of the room (i.e where it can't get wet!) playing your favourite TV show or film and relax. It works wonders to just switch off!

2. Schedule your work hours and give yourself plenty of time off. At the start of the year it's usually just getting back into the swing of things and you have months until your exams. Organise your revision early and complete your homework a night or two after you get it so deadlines don't cause you any extra pressure. Give yourself a lot of time off to chill out and remember that you've only just gone back so shouldn't be overloading yourself!

3. If you're ill, chill! Stressing out over what you're possibly missing is not going to help your recovery at all. Email all your teachers and ask for the work then forget about it for the time being - take some time to feel sorry for yourself and catch up on the work when you're fully better. Your teachers will understand. Everyone has been there at some point.

4. Don't be afraid to ask for help. If the work you just got could just as well be in another language for goodness sake go and ask your teacher to explain it to you. It will make you feel a lot better and you'll have made sure you understand it well in advance of the exam. Whatever you do don't wait until the night before the exam and then realise you have no idea what's going on! Asking questions is always a must.

What do you do to help minimise your stress?

No comments:

Post a Comment